Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Grand Canyon

So.... I promise this will be my last road trip of the semester. I will actually go to class and I won't fail ochem.

With that said, this past weekend, we kind of up and left and went to the Grand Canyon (not so long of a drive and definitely worth it!) The first night we camped out in Moab in this trashy trailer hook-up campsite complete with a creepy 1950s style truck that looked like something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Seven college students, sleeping outside, right next to a huge open field, that creepy car, and an abandoned hut. Definitely horror movie material. It was also frreeeezing cold, and I did have the brilliant idea to sleep outside so I'm pretty sure my foot as still thawing from that experience. Although it wasn't as cold as the camping trip to the West Desert in October when KK was here. So, we woke up and hiked around Arches National Park for a little while, it was weird because of the fact I had just been there a few weeks prior. We drove all day and got to the Grand Canyon a little before sunset and we watched it over a look-out that I clearly remember being at as a child complete with an Indian watchtower thing. We camped again on the rim of the canyon and stuffed all seven of us into a tent for warmth which ended up being actually very comfortable. We woke up and watched an amazing sunrise and then went back to sleep for a few hours accidently, but woke up yet again to hike the most intense hike of my life with switchbacks six miles down the canyon, but the view was incredible the whole time, and the hike back up wasn't actually as bad as I was anticipating. We got down to the bottom and actually contemplated my faking a seizure so we could get airlifted out of there. However, we all made it with frequent stops in the shade, and we climbed in the car to head home. We made a grand pit stop at the Hot Springs in Meadow and hung out there (I got some quality naked time after these creepy people with a nasty dog left) until about midnight and then drove on home. It was nice to sleep in my own bed rather than a rocky and quite hard ground, but I really miss the fresh air and new surroundings. I went with a group of people whom a majority of them I had never met before and it was really fun getting to know them in so many ways. I told my roommates that before they get married, a road trip is definitely in order because you find out more about that person when they're taken out of their element and then you can truly see if you're compatible.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Yay! You wrote on your blog. I love reading about your adventures, keep it up. :)