Thursday, October 25, 2007

I could possibly be the most fickle person you'll ever meet.

So, today as I was sitting at work contemplating my up and coming summer (even though it's only October), I decided that maybe I do not want to go to India after all. I would love love LOVE to go there, but I really want to be marketable in International development issues in Africa, so I'm thinking I need to spend the summer volunteering with an NGO in Tanzania or Kenya really working on my Swahili language skills. Since I'm taking the class in the winter, I think it'd be awesome to actually go over there and study it. So, I started looking around the internet and I found a reputable organization that'll send you there for two months for 1200 bucks plus the plane ticket. So, basically I could spend the good part of May working still at Platinum making the big bucks and then stay there for June and July and get a month at home to spend with my family AND get to Mexico for the International AIDS conference at the beginning of August. If I went to India, I'd miss that and I would be there 3 and a half months with no clear project as of yet. AND, when I was looking at journal entries from formal participants, 2 of the 10 that I read mentioned missionaries and the ward. So I'm thinking a lot of Mormon kids do this, though it's based in New Zealand and not affiliated with the Church. If you want to check out the page, it's volunteer.org.nz/kenya(or tanzania).

Meanwhile, after ward I'm heading to the art gallery for some short films done by some locals. I think it should be pretty good not to mention some of my favorite people will be there. Then, tomorrow night it's IC night for a delightful showing of "Offsides" an Iranian film about women who dress up like boys to get into a soccer stadium after they are banned. Should be excellent. Not to mention Netflix delivered Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring and I will be watching that this weekend with Katy and Cecilia.

Per the usual, life is good. and will be better when my exhausting ORCA grant proposal goes through.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love international cinema night!!!