Friday, February 16, 2007

So, maybe I'm bitter....?

Ok, so I just want to take this opportunity to say how much I actually HATE Valentine's day. Did you know the reason we celebrate the day is because St. Valentine (who, ironically, was celibate) was martyred?? How insensitive to his memory by celebrating a day of love and sexuality when he was cold-bloodedly killed for being a celibate saint. Also, I hate flowers, I hate the ephemeral nature of a flower... you receive them as an overpriced gift and then they die the next day (especially if you give them to me, because I will not take the effort to put them into a vase). They do not inherently represent committed love unless you want your undying love to dwindle away less than a week after giving it- in essence, they are nothing but a symbol of human sexuality, think deflowering. So, don't give me flowers. Take me to a concert, buy me sushi, or watch a slightly angsty film with me.

I also hate the commercializing of V-day... sure it was fun to dress in pink and hand out cheesy Barbie Valentines to everyone in your class even though you didn't even like them. I hate how people make it such a big deal as adults. Doesn't it mean more to celebrate your love on your own time, and not on a holiday designated by society?? So cliche.

So, I'm way excited for this weekend. Me and a few of my friends are hopping in a car and driving to Moab, going mountain biking and hiking and just overall recovering from this dehumanizing place called Provo. I'm really stoked to hang out with these girls, because I don't get to see them as much as I would like to, and we were all really close last year. I've also been hanging out with some new friends that I've met through my friends Chris, Marc, and Carl, who live across the street from me... they really have some unique and diverse friends who I've really become quite attached to these past few months. We had a really good time last night, my favorite part being my karaoke performance of Mimi and Roger from Rent with my friend John. It really was stellar!

No comments: