Friday, October 10, 2008

Um, yes, I have a temple recommend

So, after my little rant was published today in the DU, I have received an onslaught of hate e-mails from fellow BYU students featuring a multitude of ad hominem attacks about my faith. I was told I need to be more in tune with the teachings of the Church, listen to the prophet a little harder, keep my temple covenants (because as one person wrote, "Some of us keep are temple covenants" by voting for a political issue!?) and actually, I kid you not, one person told me that I should not be allowed to call myself LDS.

And one other thing: I do in fact respect all of those out there in favor of Prop 8. Thank you for your input, and I welcome rousing political discussion on this blog. I respect everyone's opinion, especially those who have worked through the issue intellectually and aren't following our leaders blindly. I honestly do not think the prophet himself would want us to not question his positions. We are given our minds for a reason. I was simply expressing my thoughts about how narrow the fight on Prop 8 has been on our campus. And I think what scares me a little is how it is reminiscent of the position of the Church in the 1970s against the ERA. If you aren't familiar with that, it was the Equal Rights amendment, guaranteeing equality between the sexes. The Church also made a statement against that warning that it might "stifle many God-given feminine instincts" (as well other reasons, including the fact that it may turn people homosexual... go figure), but I think Church doctrine has changed considerably in three decades, and cannot imagine such a statement now.

What I'm trying to get at here is please, please, please don't attack my faith and things I truly do hold very dear to my heart. Thank you. I do listen to the prophet. I do love this Gospel. I just simply want more people to think before they vote, and see the adverse effects that Prop 8 could have on the Church.

Also, I want to express my belief in freedom of speech for all of those pro-Patriotism Sarah Palin types out there. Ok, and you must read this editorial. It's brilliant.

8 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

Did you see when I blogged a little while ago about my friend's friend who was getting like, death threats from members when she expressed her opinion that she didn't like the way the church was handling the Prop 8 stuff?

Ya. Rabid. And scary. I can't even believe how judgmental people are being about this.

Megan said...

I think the point about the prophet is that sometimes we don't know why we are asked to do something, but we know we should be obedient and follow. Sometimes it is blind obedience. Look at all the scripture stories of blind obedience - Noah building the ark for example, seemed crazy to everyone else. But the promise that the prophet will never lead the church astray allows us to be obedient when we aren't sure all the reasons why. And it's not just our church, but all faiths that are uniting in the stand for the family. We were in CA when they voted 8 years ago and it was no different.

Plural marriage - not popular (not even for Emma Smith!), but there was a reason. Word of Wisdom, not popular at the time. For some reason, black men were not allowed to hold the priesthood. We don't always know why. But we do unpopular things. I don't think it will "hurt" the church. We have been different from the "norm" for a long time. We are strong. Our numbers have doubled since 1985.

Sorry you got so much hate email. I have read a lot about the prop in AZ because, I too wondered how it would affect me. But it's not just me. It's my family, my children, my children's children, and society as a whole.

Anonymous said...

"I honestly do not think the prophet himself would want us to not question his positions"

I'm not sure if that was maybe just not worded right, but I'm just gonna go off of exactly how you wrote it. No, I think he would NOT want us to question his positions. He is a prophet called of God to guide us in the latter days. If he was just spurting out random positions on things, we would be in a little bit of trouble. I am not accusing you of not having faith or anything, but I do not agree with that statement at all.

Lauren said...

Caitlin, again I think you're amazing. I was really glad to see your editorial in the DU today. I'm glad that people are speaking out against it. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

"I love gay people the same way that I love straight people. But I will do anything the Prophet asks of me." Amen.

That's the bottom line.

Michelle said...

Cait, are you in favor of the ERA? did you think that was a fair and progressive movement? Just wondering, because I couldn't tell from what you said about it. Also, i really like how we're friends that have differing political opinions, but i don't think it's "following our leaders blindly" when we do what they say, i think it's having faith that they know what they're talking about and receive revelation from Heavenly Father that is specifically designed for us in our time .

PS LOVE your wedding pictures!

Saint Job said...

Caitlin-
I saw your article in the DU last Friday and wanted to thank you for standing up for what you believe in--for being an example.
I am sorry for the hate-mail you have received. If only your accusers could see the irony and hypocrisy of their actions. If only they could comprehend the magnitude of what it's like to be LDS and homosexual. But they cannot. So here is your chance to rise above the evil and let your light shine. You are beautiful. And you are wonderful. And no amount of hate or ignorance will ever be able to take that away from you. -O.R.

Anonymous said...

In the article you thought was so great ...Palin’s Kind of Patriotism

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Published: October 7, 2008

Friedman stated this about Sarah Pallin:
"...And there was one thing she said in the debate with Joe Biden that really sticks in my craw. It was when she turned to Biden and declared: (The following is a direct quote by Sarah Pallin)

“You said recently that HIGHER TAXES or asking for HIGHER TAXES or paying HIGHTER TAXES is patriotic. In the middle class of America, which is where Todd and I have been all of our lives, that’s not patriotic.”

Friedman goes on to say "...she declared that Americans who pay their fair share of taxes to support all those government-led endeavors should not be considered patriotic."

Actually NO, she didn't say Americans paying their FAIR SHARE of taxes shouldn't be considered patriotic. She said paying HIGHER TAXES should not be considered patriotic. There's a huge difference between the two.

Your idea of what's a fair share of taxes to be paid to the government may be vastly different from what I consider to be fair. And to allow some one to say well ... in order for you to show your patriotism then I'm raising your taxes and your going to have to pay it and if you don't well then ...you're not very patriotic. Well for me ...I'm going to have to agree with Sarah Pallin. Paying HIGHER taxes is NOT a show of patriatism!