Monday, May 19, 2008

Becca's wedding and San Francisco

What a fabulous little weekend I had!! On Thursday, Cecilia and I embarked on our journey to California for the first time in our lives. After a short flight, we arrived at the Oakland airport, greeted by Becca, Kyle, and Katy P (not Katy A, do not be confused). That night, we stayed up and talked for a little bit on the front porch, then went over to the Nieman's house where we spent the night the first few nights. Friday was spent preparing for the nuptials, watching Prince Caspian (I wouldn't recommend it.... a little cheesy) and going to a wedding-eve barbecue at Becca & Katy's grandparent's house. The company was pleasurable, the food was amazing. Au gratin potatoes like I've never tasted! And homemade strawberry ice cream! Yum! That night, we had a little post-wedding-eve-barbecue bash at the neighborhood pool, then went home and I absolutely crashed. Saturday was spent preparing for the wedding, then going to the temple to see our two wonderful friends start their eternal happiness together. Becca, as mentioned previously, looked like an absolute dream. And Kyle didn't look so bad either. I know they will make each other SO happy, and you can just tell they absolutely worship each other without being all gross and PDA-ish. When they walked out of the temple, and everyone was standing there, in typical Becca fashioned, she got all awkward and was like "what now!?" It was adorable. It was so HOT at the temple, but pictures had to be taken!! I loved so much that Becca & Kyle were so concerned about their friends being in pictures with them. It was fun, and we got some great ones I know. After the wedding, the group of Provo friends went to lunch at perhaps the best ice cream place ever!!! Fenton's. I highly recommend it! Better than Ghirardelli, which we had the next day in San Francisco. Saturday night was the reception, which was also, absolutely perfect for Becca & Kyle. Low-key but classy. Sister Anderson did a fabulous job on the food!! The pasta salad was incredible, and fresh strawberries with cream were among my favorites. The cake was beautiful, and delicious too! I loved her reception, it makes me ready to have my own. Then I think, oh no wait, I'm SO not ready to get married yet! But when I do, we will dance barefoot in a poppy field accompanied by bongo players. The wedding food will be vegan and raw. and the flowers will be wild dandelions :) My ring will be antique gold. My dress will be vintage. And my groom will be wonderful, tall, dark, foreign, and liberal. That's the ideal, though Becca's reception swayed me into thinking traditional is not so bad. I LOVED her reception. And I'm not easily swayed into doing what everyone else does. But her dress was beautiful, the veil was beautiful, the expensive flowers and fancy wedding cake were great. And her bridals-- FABULOUS! I didn't think I liked the idea of standing around in a constricting dress getting pictures shot of me, but hers are so stunning I just can't imagine not doing it! Ok. Enough gushing for now :)

So, on Saturday evening, 5 of us went into the city and played around. We went to In-N-Out and generally just had a great time. We found this strange museum with old games, it was quite interesting. I also danced on a street corner to some reggae music. One of my friends put a cup beside me. Nevertheless, I didn't make any money... I wouldn't survive as a bum.

On Sunday after church, Katy P, Cil, and me went to San Francisco again. We did A LOT of walking, but saw pretty much the entire city. I didn't realize how hilly it was! Like, I knew there were hills, but DANG! It was so fun though, we saw the major sites (except for the bridge, it was to foggy!) and enjoyed each other's company. We got an ice cream sundae at Ghiradelli square, frolicked in the Pacific, walked down Lombard St., and hung around Chinatown. We came across a gathering with hundreds of people in Chinatown, and Cecilia nudged me and said "It's your paradise!!" I could agree more.

Today, Cecilia and I spent most of our afternoon in Berkeley. Heaven. They have 11 vegan restaurants, one of which I visited that was delicious! I brought some food home for lunch later :) That's how good it was. We also walked around the campus, and through the law school. I LOVE the campus. It's so green, there are huge trees and cool trails. We were sitting eating gelato when two students walked by and we overheard "so, remember at that protest freshman year..." I want to go there for law school SO BAD. My mom, of course, reminded me of the little price tag attached... only because I'm a girl of course. If Devin could get into an expensive and highly-regarded medical school, he'd be more than encouraged. I hate gender double-standards. Grrr.

Now I'm happy to be back in Provo. But not ready for my midterm I have in the morning! Darn spring term.

Wedding and reception pictures:








San Fran pictures:






In case you haven't gotten enough...:




4 comments:

Lauren said...

The pictures are awesome Caitlin. Glad you had a great time in California!

Lauren said...

Dude, who's that other "lauren" commenting on your blog?

First of all, San Francisco is amazing. Last summer, there was a line at the trolley, so Christopher and I walked from the city center all the way to the pier, then all the way to the ballpark. It took forever but we had a blast and saw a lot of cool stuff, like random cathedrals and Asian markets.

Second, I love Becca and Kyle and I don't even know them.

Third, you look hot.

Fourth, ignore the price tag on those pricey institutions of higher learning. Apparently, the sticker price is just a suggestion, and they dole out all kinds of financial aid and scholarship money. Only trust fund babies pay MSRP. It's always worth it to apply! (says the girl who applied to one college in her life...)

The Stells! said...

oh my gosh, i am sooo excited!!! i can not even tell you it got soooo bad after you left like way bad UGH it was not fun it was such a good day to leave!!

Celia said...

I just love this post!!