Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Reduce, reuse, recycle. In that order.

I've been on an environmental-rush for the past few months, and would like to share with everyone my attempts at reducing my carbon footprint.

1. The menstrual cup. Sounds gross, but it's the greatest thing I have ever discovered. I absolutely LOVE it, and have recommended it to friends again and again. It's cheap (you can use it for 10 years, it comes out to like 10 cents a month), it's environmentally-friendly (U.S. women produce about 2 million tons of trash from sanitary napkins and tampons every year!), and it's healthier (no bleach or toxins that can leach into your system from tampons, no risk of TSS). I use the DivaCup but there are many options. You can google "menstrual cup" and find tons of great reviews as well!

2. No paper towels for this girl! For Lent, I gave up paper towels. Now, when I go to the restroom, I wash my hands, and then just shake them dry or wipe them on my pants. Think about what a difference that would make if we all did it! It is such a simple thing, but I just about how many times I wash my hands a day, and how many paper towels I would use and trash, and this way is just as easy. Also, my hands are way less chapped!

3. Composting. I bury my old apple cores, orange peels, and vegetable skins in my backyard. I'm not sure this really helps the environment, but I feel like I'm returning to the earth what was meant to be there. And I feel good about that.

4. Community garden! Fresh, local vegetables for all!

5. Riding my bike and walking. Everywhere.

6. Turning off the lights. I'm a nazi about this. Honestly, I just can't leave a room now without flipping the switch. Get into the habit!

7. Limiting showers. Ok, some people think this is just gross, but who needs to shower every day unless they are exercising vigorously or genuinely have odor problems (which I doubt any of us do).

8. Used clothes, used books, used everything. I love used things. Plato's Closet if you're upscale, DI if you're me. Also, I love recycling my own clothing everything I haven't worn in the past year. Someone will put it to great use! Also, reusable bags when you grocery shop. You can buy them usually for about a dollar a bag, and most grocery stores I've been to will discount your bill if you bring your own bags and ask. Technically, every time we shop we are paying for plastic bags! Also, I love reusing containers for leftovers. I've never bought tupper-ware because there are so many great containers out there. My favorites are large yogurt containers, Nancy's organic yogurt I used to eat, and the containers are the perfect size and toughness. I also reuse jars from spaghetti sauce and other things as cups for drinking tea or storing leftover soups. If you don't reuse them, at least recycle!

9. Vegetarianism/veganism. It's probably the single-most significant thing I do for the environment every day. Does anyone realize how much the cattle industry has destroyed the agricultural communities, polluted our waters, and killed our people? Can we say heart disease?? There are so many great alternatives! Try a little tempeh, tofu, veg burgers! Or how about some good old fashioned vegetables? Great recipes here.

10. I can't think of a 10th thing that I do personally. But I LOVE windmills.

Now, everyone go out and take accountability for their actions! REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!

4 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

I definitely don't shower every day. Even before I had a baby it felt like such a waste of time. It's less me being green and more me being busy with other things, but being environmentally friendly is another perk.

We keep trying to compost but judging by the flies, I know we're doing it wrong.

Any old clothes I don't donate I cut up and use for fabric in my smaller projects. A bunch of my old shirts have become these wonderful fluttery flowers I wear in my hair sometimes. Others have become purses, wallets, etc.

You're lucky that Provo is so pedestrian friendly. Mesa, unfortunately, isn't. At all. And it makes me really sad.

I haven't made the jump to reusable bags yet, but my local grocery store just started recycling bags. And every time I go I try to use as few as possible. Yesterday I used 3. See? I'm trying!

Anonymous said...

Our local HEB grocery store was giving away the reusable bags on green day. I ended up with 4 thinking great, I'll keep them in my car so when I stop at the store I'll be all set.

Then while driving around I noticed this terrible acrid smell like chemicals burning. You guessed it ...it was the reusable bags. I couldn't stand to have them in the car so now they are in my garage. I'm hoping with time they'll lose the smell otherwise I'll feel like I am being exposed to something toxic! It definitely isn't easy being "green"!

Katy said...

Wait, you "USED to eat" Nancy's organic yogurt? What happened? I LOVE that stuff, and those containers were so pretty--quite a joy to reuse! I hope the past tense was caused by economics, rather than an ideological falling out.

Becca said...

I know all those things about you!