Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ani Difranco

I'm loving Ani this week. I cannot wait until her concert in June!

Her lyrics are raw and poignant. One of my favorites is "Both Hands". I'm not even entirely sure I understand the meaning behind the lyrics, but it still speaks to me about life, trying so hard in relationships, realizing that most of it is all for naught. I think she's just trying to tell her lover to please dedicate yourself to me and don't hold any emotions back. You really just need to listen to it, her voice is entrancing.

Both Hands
in each other's shadows we grew less and less tall
and eventually our theories couldn't explain it all
and i'm recording our history now on the bedroom wall
and when we leave the landlord will come
and paint over it all
and i am walking
out in the rain
and i am listening to the low moan of the dial tone again
and i am getting nowhere with you
and i can't let it go
and i can't get through
so now use both hands
please use both hands
oh, no don't close your eyes
i am writing graffiti on your body
i am drawing the story of how hard we tried

2 comments:

Thunder Thighs said...

mmmmmm. That's the first song of hers I ever heard. yeah.... mmmmmmmmm.

girl with freckles said...

yeah, ani! pretty girl's a good one.