Thursday, November 29, 2007

My survey

For my political science methodology course, I am doing a project on the correlation between the amount of time a mother spent working outside the home and their children's ACT/SAT scores. If you'd like to be part of this monumental research, please leave a comment with the number of hours your mom worked (include only paid employment, not church callings, PTO obligations,etc.) while you were in high school and your standardized test score.

Thanks for participating.




P.S. I'm pretty sure this violates some sort of IRB regulation :)

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I have no idea how many hours Mom cleaned houses when I was in high school. Definitely zero when I was young, but maybe 10 hours a week later on. Not enough that I really noticed. And you know my SAT score.

I bet that the type of work Mom does makes a huge difference. If Mom is a doctor/lawyer, those scores are going to be different than if Mom is a cashier at Piggly Wiggly trying to make ends meet. I think SAT scores have more to do with socioeconomic status. That's why colleges will let in more minorities and underprivileged kids with lower test scores, because for some of those kids, test scores do not necessarily reflect success in college.

Becca said...

My mom was a teacher when I was in high school, which isn't tons of hours, but she was also a really really good teacher, which meant she was gone from 7-6ish 5 days a week. So roughly 55-60 hours a week (unless my math is embarrassingly wrong). My ACT score was 30.

TheMoncurs said...

Caitlin that sling is SO CUTE. I hadn't even heard of that company before (and I've spent a lot of time looking for a sling I like).

And my mom worked part time while I was in school...probably anywhere from 15-30 hours a week (she and a friend cleaned houses and the workload varied) but she was always home when we were home. And I got a 32 on the ACT.

TheMoncurs said...

Oh, forgot to mention, that was only while I was in elementary and junior high. She didn't work while I was in high school.

Lauren said...

Christopher's mom worked 0 hours, and he got a 30 on the ACT. However, he would like to mention that he got a 750 on the GMAT. Of course, that was after he had been married to me for 6 years. ;)