Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sunshine, Charity Ball, and other joyous occasions

First off, it's spring. What a beautiful statement to be said. The sun was out in full grandeur today. Austin and I frolicked about town, running the errands and generally enjoying each other's company. We escaped to the backyard hammock of my dear friend David for a little retreat, where we read each other excerpts from my newest novel venture, Affluenza. With the sun beating down on my face, I could not have been more content. Twas a lovely afternoon, but ruined by the dreaded work thing. Now I am here, trapped in my empty, grey cubicle. Yuck. Luckily, I am quitting on Monday!

Charity Ball- one of the highlights of my semester.
Background: A lovely gala for lovely people, organized by students and attended by students. There were a select few VIP guests there, and I had the privilege of being the "handler" to Claralyn Hill, attorney and candidate for state legislature. She was a riot to hang out with all night, and we had the best time chatting it up about politics and school, among other things. We walked around a schmoozed with all the other politicians and guests, and I even got offered a job as a campaign assistant! If I'm still around this summer (which is looking more like a possibility every day), I am definitely going to do this. Because A) we need more Democrats in office in Utah, and B) Claralyn is clearly the most experienced and in tune with the community's needs. So, if you live in the 62nd District in Northeast Provo, don't let the party affiliation scare you away- vote for her!

Although I must say my feet were thinking about abandoning me in favor of a more practical person, my ensemble was stellar**. I got the dress from Banana Republic (a big deal, considering it cost more than I've spent on clothes all year) and the new shoes were from Nordstrom. I absolutely adored both, and felt like a million bucks- so it was well worth spending the money. I did not think I would be the kind to enjoy this event, but I really did have an absolutely fabulous time. There was a silent and live auction, fantastic desserts, and amazing people to talk to. Not to mention, David and cast raised over $20,000 for the United Way!

Other joyous occasions: WomanStats meetings, 472 class, 96% on my last paper, and the majority of my "stuff" for the semester is over and done with. I'm looking forward to a rather relaxing, though quite busy, spring and summer- though right now, I'm in limbo regarding certain decisions pertaining to a most certain future.

** Pictures coming soon!

1 comment:

The Stells! said...

i want to see pictures now!!!! :)