Monday, March 31, 2008

Holi.

As you remember, I love Holi. I love the spiritual nature, and the significance of ridding ourselves of evil (the burning of Holika) and embracing new life in the form of springtime. The throwing of colors is a cleansing process of sorts, and it is symbolic also of protecting each other from sickness caused by cold weather. So, you can imagine my disappointment when it turned into a hardcore rock concert with all of the stupid punk Utah kids desecrating the beautiful and symbolic nature of the ritual. When the colors were thrown, people just threw them in the air in a frenzy, rather than tossing them at each other. The air was so thick with chalk I couldn't breathe, and it was probably one of the worst moments of my life. All of the symbolism was lost on a bunch of stupid white kids. After the chalk-throwing, my car went home because everyone was so upset, but I stayed for a little with Devin, Austin, and others. We ended up having fun dancing and frolicking away from the crowd, but I was so irritated by the fact that I had looked forward to Holi all semester and it turned into such an unholy event. Oh well. Here's a picture of Devin and me, ridiculously gross. Compare to last year, that is what you are supposed to look like.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I'm so grateful that I was in Texas and couldn't go to Holi this year. I was still upset, just hearing about it. It's something that we take so seriously, and treat with such respect and reverence--and hearing about all the people just sucking at it made me so mad. They ruin everything.