Saturday, July 19, 2008

Planning the weddingness

Ok. So I did not realize how extensive wedding planning is. My ideal reception is dancing in a poppy field to a folk band barefoot in a flowy, knee-length off-white dress. What's up with 700-dollar dresses and receptions in cultural halls and catering and flowers and luncheons and invitations and honeymoons and married housing and registering (ok, so that actually was REAL fun) and receiving lines and bridal showers and gazillions of other things I told myself I would never do but now I'm sucked into doing?? I will not let my wedding stress me out. That is for my mother to do :) Rather, I think I will choose to consume my thoughts with being sealed for time and all eternity to my best friend.

5 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

That is how I stayed sane and had a whole heck of a lot of fun at my wedding. During the whole planning process I just kept in mind that the purpose of the day was the sealing and when we went to sleep that night we'd be married. Everything else seemed kind of silly when you remember that.

Yay marriage!

Katy said...

Aw man, I was looking forward to flying out to a remote stretch of African savannah to watch you complete tribal marriage rituals in a tent made of lion skins. But, uh, cultural halls can be nice too, right?

Unknown said...

you are so cute! I still cant believe your getting married!! I am so excited for you! PLanning weddings is annoying but worth it in the end

Elisse Newey said...

hahahaha. oh..... im sorry honey. I swear I said the same thing a million times over.
....." wait! I never wanted this! I have to do what now?? Where's my wild flowers????"

I'm wearing my ani shirt and thinking of you by the way. :)

Sofia D. Hoiland said...

Agreed. We were sealed one evening at the Portland Temple and afterwards met at a local favorite Lebanese restaurant with family.

I found a simple and modest pattern I liked for a dress, and Matt's mom helped make it. Two months later, after we had found a home and settled a bit into married life, our family threw a simple reception two months later where some friends and us played music for it.

So, what I am trying to say is, you can have bliss... and simplicity. But also, I think part of the joy the community (friends and family) have is to see you the day of the wedding or sealing. That way, everyone you invite can see the newlyweds and be a part of something.

We did it the way we did because one we didn't want to wait another few months, (being engaged is hard enough) and 2. I flew back from Hawaii (long story) to get married pronto, to Matt.