Saturday, June 28, 2008

Two little Yemeni girls

Thelms sent me this article via g-chat today and I think it is absolutely inspiriring. It tells the story of these little girls, forced into marriages with much older men, a depressing tale. However, read deeper. Imagine these little girls' lives. Close your eyes and picture little Nujood walking out of her house alone for the first time in her life, hailing a taxi, and walking into a courthouse. A little girl suffocated in a male-dominated world. Consider her bravery and her strength. Maybe they have so much courage because they are so young, not yet indoctrinated into the culture, not yet able to sense real fear and danger. This small tale is truly inspiring. What am I afraid to do that I've always wanted to do? Who I am to be hesitant to jump right in? And what can I do to make this world into something more beautiful and kind and peaceful? Two little Yemeni girls taught me a little about life today.

No comments: