Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another so-called "power letter" for your reading enjoyment

President Bott,

I wish at this time to respectfully address the lecture you gave on Wednesday, February 20. You spoke of sisters serving missions and there were a few points that I noted that are contradictory, in my comprehension of the doctrines of the Church, to the teachings of the prophets.

First off, my main concern was the idea that you expressed concerning the relationship between a husband a wife. I believed the words you used were "subservient" and "subordinate," ultimately stating that a wife is not equal to her husband in gospel authority. You advised the sisters to not attempt to be "bearers" of the priesthood, and take the sideline in our marriage regarding the gospel so that our husbands could advance in their priesthood to become leaders. However, according to President Hinckley, women "are as entitled as are men to the Spirit of Christ, which enlightens every man and woman who comes into the world." In my understanding of the gospel principles, just because a women does not literally hold the priesthood does not mean that she is not equal to her husband in authority and that she should not exercise this authority. In order to become a truly Zion society, women and men must be equal in authority and responsibility both within the family and within the councils of the Church. President Kimball spoke to women, saying "We do not want our LDS women to be silent partners or limited partners in that eternal assignment, be a contributing and full partner." I believe that although women do not hold the priesthood right now in this life, they have every right to access it and utilize it, hence "bearing" it in essence to benefit their children and families. And again, even though men do hold within themselves the authority to perform certain sacred ordinances in building up the kingdom, according to John A. Widtsoe "No man who understands the gospel believes that he is greater than his wife, or more beloved of the Lord, because he holds the priesthood."

Moreover, I thought your comment telling the sisters to "get over their PMS" and stop being wusses was incredibly misogynistic and discriminatory. It is statements such as these that propagate the gender stereotypes that are so detrimental to the building up of Zion. Perhaps there are those women that do need to address certain emotional issues before they go on missions, but I guarantee there are an equal number of men that also should. Moreover, if females do act moody or otherwise challenged, it is because society has socialized them to act this way. There is nothing innately female that says I must become moody just because of my hormones; it is usually from what I have seen, an active decision to use hormones as an excuse to be rude to people. And in regards to girls not being as tough as the guys when it comes to handling the rigors of life, the strongest people I have met are usually women. Throughout history, women have performed a lion's share of the daily labor compared to the men. Even today in the world, the UN asserts that women perform 2/3 of the world's work yet receive only 1/10 of its income. Moreover, if girls are always told that they are not as tough and strong as the boys, they will be conditioned to believe it and then will become weaker. As a Church community, we must all recognize the systematic discrimination and structured gender roles that the fallen world has outlined in order to break a vicious cycle.

Again, I sincerely hope that ultimately this is not what you meant nor is it what all the other students took away from the lecture. Maybe I am unusually sensitized to these issues, but I would appreciate it if you would take the time to reevaluate your thoughts concerning women as missionaries and ultimately wives, mothers, and leaders within the Church. I know you have incredible influence over the hundreds of students you teach, especially the males. If you continue to teach them that the women in their lives are emotionally-unfit for missions and subordinate to them in marriage, they will listen. I fear that many of them will take these teachings and fail to develop celestial marriages based on divine equality as instructed by our Heavenly Father.

Sincerely,
Caitlin Carroll (801.318.0167)

CC: President Cecil O. Samuelson, Dr. Terry B. Ball, Dr. Arnold K. Garr

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Very well written. I look forward to hearing a response from Randy Bott, and others. (President Samuelson?)

Janae Wallace said...

yes, will you please post any response you get? I really want to hear it! :)

Julie said...

Caitlin

I just randomly linked to your blog through your comment about Joyce and I was so happy to see this letter that you wrote. Very well written and necessary and I am so glad you did that. I hope all is well for you.

Julie said...

Caitlin

I just randomly linked to your blog through your comment about Joyce and I was so happy to see this letter that you wrote. Very well written and necessary and I am so glad you did that. I hope all is well for you.

Caitlin Carroll said...

Lauren,
Dr. Hudson instructed me to send it to him. I'm a little nervous though... but she sent me a great e-mail about how it needs to be done and the more we let things slide, the less things will change here at BYU.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that he thinks we are the weaker sex. Just looking at how many women outlive their husbands underscores our ability to handle life's challenges head on.

Council Bluffs said...

attagirl.